Thursday 3 November 2011

Unpacking the EMT 140 Plate Reverb - A Vlog

Whew, It's been a heck of a week! Between work, the studio, and what little sleep I am able to find in between, I am absolutely exhausted. I've been working on the EMT 140 plate for the past 3 days, so I thought that I would vlog about it and include a couple of pictures that I have taken. To be quite honest, I'm too sleep-deprived to type a whole lot tonight.


Ready to open it up!


All of the tape that I used to pack the plate. I got my instructions from Dan Alexander at: http://danalexanderaudio.com/tips.html#Packing

I may have gone overboard on the tape, but at least it arrived without breaking!

I hadn't really considered how I was going to get the tape off of the back...

Removing the tape... this isn't even all of it.

Lucky me! I couldn't get some of the tape off from behind the damper.

Nothing to do but remove the damper! It wasn't too hard, but it certainly wasn't easy.

hmm...

There we go!

I tried to get a picture that showed all of the oil and residue from the tape on the plate. It wasn't looking so great.

The oil is to protect the plate from rusting.

It took me hours to clean the plate with alcohol and paper towels.

Totally worth it. Don't worry, I'm going to be re-applying some light machine oil before I'm done working on it.

I replaced the damper and wanted to check to make sure the gap between it and the plate was consistent.

Time to put the driver back on.


And now, the vlog! I was too exhausted to imagine typing much this week, so I am going to show you the progress I have made in person:
*EDIT - changed to Vimeo because I like it better!


I actually ended up getting the driver of the plate to work right after I took this video. I found a broken wire on the input of the amplifier. After a quick solder job, I killed some time using the EMT 140 on some mixes I had lying around. It sounds awesome. I can't wait to tune it.
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this, it was fantastic! Please do keep posting. It's my first visit here and I'll definitely be following your blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Nick! I can't believe the traffic that this blog has been getting. I'm really pleased that people are enjoying it. No plans to stop any time soon!
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete