Monday 21 November 2011

Wiring Weekend - Summary


Well it is 1am on Sunday night. If you haven't figured it out already, I do these posts late at night and post them in the mornings. Well, today was a heck of a day! I needed to grab a warm milk before I even got to the computer tonight. For the record, I hate when warm milk gets a skin on it. It's so gross. I need to find a nice girl who likes warm-milk skin. Not sure why I'm typing this, though. I'm pretty sure that the only female that reads my blog is my mother. Oh well.
So, like I said, today was a big wiring day. I finally got all of the parts and cable that I needed and threw 'Ian's Family/friends Autumn Wiring Party'. We spent the entire day stripping, heatshrinking, and crimping new db25 connectors onto 8 channel snakes. I have to say, it went REALLY well. Due to some very detailed planning by yours truly over a few months, we had all of the information that we needed to get it done efficiently. It doesn't sound like much, but we finished the dsubs for ~36 8 channel cables (6 patchbays worth)! I got about 5 cables completely done by sneaking in some extra time to do some XLR soldering. I expect to be completely done in 2 days.
I really appreciate the help, everyone! A big thanks to Tara, Savannah, Ken, Mum, Dad, and Mike. Everyone seemed exhausted at the end of the day and I don't blame them. I think that they saved me weeks of work today and have kept me on track to have the studio operational in ~2 weeks.
I am exhausted and need some sleep. Here are some pictures from today.


















Whew! Thanks again everyone! Still lots to do (As you can see in the last picture...), but everything is on schedule.
I will give you all a more detailed rundown of the things I have learned making all of these d-sub connectors. It's not that hard and you can save a LOT of money compared to getting someone else to make them for you.
Console faders Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. hey again Ian!

    Just wondering where you source parts such as these cables as well as caps..I recall a Digikey mention earlier. Also wondering what your preferred cap brand of choice is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve,
    For the dsub connectors, I went to altex.com. They have pretty good prices as far as I could see! All of the rest of the supplies were from redco.com.
    As for the capacitors, I've been using Panasonic. I can't remember which ones specifically, but I believe it is the FC series. They look really cool too.
    Thanks
    Ian

    ReplyDelete