Monday 28 November 2011

The Ghost of the EMT 140

And just like that, we have only a month until the 2011 deadline for the studio to open. I can't believe that I have already had my space for a month! Although it has flown by, I have got so much done there compared to what I would have done at home. There is something to be said for some isolation from the rest of the world when you are trying to get something finished.
I didn't get a lot done this weekend as I drove to Montreal on Saturday to check out a piece of equipment. We are catching up with the console quickly, so I am going to spread console posts out a bit in the hopes that, when we get to the end of it on the blog, the 903A will be complete. This means that we will have a fun post today.

Last week, I was working on the EMT 140 trying to repair the amplifier. I had a fuse blow on me a couple of weeks ago and suspected that something might be wrong with it. What I came to find was that there was actually nothing fatally wrong at all! Just a weak fuse! After finding a suitable replacement (it is a weird radial fuse), I found that the plate still wasn't working. I started to probe around, and this happened:



Excuse my lack of enthusiasm. I thought it was awesome, but I was really, really exhausted.

I guess that the probe for my meter is the correct length to pick up a radio station. Since I was probing on the driving circuit, the radio signal was being driven into the plate which made it sound so creepy.
I ended up finding that a wire had broken (this is the second broken one I have found). After a quick solder job, she was working fine!
Tomorrow I'm going to be tensioning the plate. I'm not really sure how that's going to go... so wish me luck! I'm not sure if I'll post multiple tensionings of the plate (as I'm under a bit of a time crunch) but I will definitely post a before and after-tensioning clip.
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment