Thursday 17 November 2011

EMT140 Restoration - Driver Positioning

Hello to all! Today you get a special treat. We are on the plate again! I took a couple of videos this week as I was working on the EMT140 and decided to share them with you today. Enjoy!

This may be a bad way to start, but I have bad news. I do not have any samples of the plate for you! The reason why? Well here's the story:
I called my good friend Dan over to play a little guitar and sing so that I would have some material to run through the plate before and after I tensioned it. After recording, I turned on the EMT140 and.... POPpppppsshshhhhhhh.... POPpppppshshssshhhhhh. Two reverby pops come from the outputs. Then, no signal. I quickly figured out that the microfuse in the power supply had blown. Why? I have no idea. This happened last night and I've been preparing for a small cable-making party on Sunday. I am hoping that I will be able to get to it very soon.






On the other hand, I have good news! Before this happened, I started to do some other work on the plate! It was recapped (which I'm quite sure wasn't the cause of the failure... I had been using it since the recap) and I had some fun with the magnet placement of the driver. On to the pictures/videos!


Fully Recapped! I checked about 10 times that each capacitor was the correct capacitance, voltage, and polarity. It wasn't very hard to actually do, but I didn't want to screw it up!

Some dirt... Came off nice and easy with a damp cloth. Also, you can see the power/audio transformers inside of the enclosure here.

When I got the plate, the input section wasn't working. Any guesses why?
 
All done! I plugged it in separate from the plate and made sure the power supply was working OK. I hooked it up to the plate and... wooooosshhh - some nice smooth plate reverb! :)


Now for some videos! Yay! Excuse the stupid aspect ratio. Vimeo handles these better than youtube, but I'm at my limit on vimeo until Tuesday.
This video is of the first CNC part that I have made. What the part does will be explained in the second.



Damn you, youtube. Vimeo is so much nicer... sigh.






And that's all for today! I'm still planning on posting about the tensioning of the plate as well as giving you some samples to hear. This all depends, of course, on the repair of the amplifier. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment