Thursday 8 December 2011

Studer 903A Restoration: Master Section Pt. 2

Some thoughts on my way home tonight...
Life takes interesting turns, doesn't it? 4 years ago, I would never have believed that I would be where I am now. It can be a real eye-opener to look back at the things that you didn't have before, the things that are no longer yours, and the things you may lose or gain in the future. Although it can be exciting, depressing, or just different, it is always scary.

This studio project has represented a lot in my life. It is truly amazing to have a real love for something and I have found incredible freedom in saying 'fuck it' and throwing myself out there in the face of failure. I highly recommend it. Although I have a great deal of hope that this work-intensive project will be successful, I feel solace in the fact that I can only try my best and what happens, happens.
Sometimes, you just have to trust yourself. 

Part 2! Did I mention there are 3 parts? There are 3 parts. This is the 2nd part... of 3.


This module is the main monitor section for the console. It allows you to select from a number of monitor sources as well as control monitor pan, monitor volume, mono, etc. The monitor selectors control relays on circuit boards under the desk (see the dreaded eurocard section).
Sources you may monitor:
∑ 1+2
∑ MONO
GROUP 1+2
GROUP 3+4
GROUP 5+6
GROUP 7+8
EXT 1
EXT 2
EXT 3
EXT 4
AUX 1
AUX 2
AUX 3
AUX 4
PFL/SOLO


I messed around with these button caps a lot. I had a few extra and tried to replace the broken ones. I quickly found out how easily they break and cut my losses. It looks like I'm not going to be able to relabel them :(. On the bright side, at least the clear plastic caps don't pop off anymore.

Front panel off - pre-recap.


A personal reminder of how it goes back together.

All done! Knobs and panel nice and clean. All of the electrolytics replaced, of course.

Surprise! I'm off to New York City this weekend. I can't wait. Let's hope I get Sunday's blog done before I leave.
Have a nice weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm currently recapping my Soundcraft 6000 series. I run a 100% analog studio located in Brazil. Will subscribe to this definitely!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anderson! That's wicked! I've been putting off finishing up this blog on the Studer, but I think this is the weekend that I'll get back onto it.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete