Thursday 14 July 2011

Ward Beck T1202 Part 1


The first piece of gear that I have documented. This is a copy of a post that I made on gearslutz last year. Enjoy!


Hello All.
A few months ago, I was lucky enough to encounter a Ward Beck T1202 broadcast console filled with 480C channel modules (this is the most modern 480C. Includes phantom power and pan). From the serial number, it seems that it was built in the mid 80s. 10 Discrete Class A preamps and a decent eq! How could I go wrong? I bought it on the spot. The owner of the store asked if I wanted him to go through it for me and get it in tip top shape for me. I answered 'No way! That's the fun part!'.

I've come quite a ways with this awesome little desk, so I thought I would share the process! I took as many pictures as I could, but they really don't do the justice of how heavily I went through this thing. Enjoy!


The console as I bought it! Doesn't look so bad does it? Well it wasn't too bad, but it was dirty, dusty, grungy, and needed some real TLC.



Lugging this up the stairs wasn't much of a treat either... It must weigh 100 pounds.


So it began... I pulled out all of the modules, faders, control panel and junk like that. I was amazed how much room the modules took.



I then began to take apart the modules to clean/recap.


Somehow I managed to miss taking any pictures of the new electrolytics!!

Every faceplate and knob was taken off, pulled apart, and thoroughly cleaned with vinegar water. Then they were off for re-capping!

Drying.... Unbelievable didn't break or lose a single one!


Look at the difference! This was a really satisfying part of the process.

Clean vs. pre-clean... Holy smokes!!

Cleaning the Penny & Giles faders... I took them apart completely, cleaned the insides with a q-tip and warm water, then put some silicon-based oil on the sliders to make them nice and smooth. This wasn't hard, but got kind of boring.


A shot of clean parts...
Unfortunately, this is the only look you are really going to get at the top plate. That black panel at the top was scratched up on the front. Right where you can see it!!! I wasn't having any of that, so I took it to a local shop which sandblasted it and powdercoated for me. Color matches perfect, and it looks brand new! (The gentleman looked at me like I was crazy as I picked up. 'You spent $150 to get THIS blasted and repainted??'). He just didn't understand.


In the mean-time, I worked on the power supply and modifications... Here I am removing the main power supply board. What a treat a completely modular system is!

Console on it's side. This allows access to the edge-connectors for any changes in wiring
 That's it for Part 1! Check out Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment